Posts Tagged pace academy atlanta
It’s open house time again! Many of Atlanta’s private school’s admissions processes are in full swing and there is a busy schedule of open houses, information sessions, and other opportunities to visit the campuses and get to know the schools. I’ve listed the upcoming open house dates here but have linked to the school’s schedule pages for many more details on their admissions timeline.
In last year’s post, I wrote about how competitive the process can be and how important it is to jump into the school’s timelines in order to secure a spot in your top choice. Getting into the open houses will give you a lot of insight into the school’s culture and really help determine your priorities when it comes to applications and admissions.
The Westminster School: Lower School Open House Saturday, November 12, 2016; Middle School Open House Friday, December 2, 2016; Upper School Open House Saturday, December 3, 2016
The Lovett School: Kindergarten Open House Saturday, November 12, 2016; Grade 1-5 Open House Sunday, November 13, 2016; Grade 6-8 Open House Sunday, November 13, 2016; Grade 9-12 Open House Wednesday, January 25, 2017
Trinity School: Tuesday, November 15,2016; Thursday, December 8,2016; Wednesday, January 18,2017
Pace Academy: Middle and Upper Schools Open House Saturday, November 19,2016; Lower School Open House Sunday, November 20, 2016
Holy Innocent’s Episcopal Academy : Saturday, December 3, 2016
Whitfield Academy : Saturday, January 21, 2017
St Benedict’s Episcopal School: Sunday, December 4, 2016; Sunday, January 22,2017
The Galloway School: Sunday, December 4,2016
Atlanta International School: Saturday, December 3, 2016
Atlanta Girl’s School: Sunday, November 13, 2016
Heritage Preparatory Academy School: Saturday, January 21, 2017
Holy Spirit Preparatory School: Preschool Open House Sunday, January 29, 2017; Lower School Open House Monday, February 16, 2017 ; Upper School Open House Sunday, January 29, 2017
For links to Atlanta private school home pages, check out this post.
Every year, I have out of town clients that tell me which private school their child is planning to attend. Most parents aren’t aware of the process, the schedule, and how competitive it is. I have a post about “off cycle” admissions but most private schools in Atlanta don’t accommodate off cycle admission, creating a challenge for executives who are relocated during the summer months. Holy Innocents is the only one I know of that my clients have been able to get into off cycle.
Part of being a realtor is helping families with relocation and transition and a big part of that process is finding the right schools for your children. I’ve done a few posts with tips and information about the process of application for Atlanta private schools in order to help parents navigate the process and minimize disappointment when unexpected things pop up. For me, it’s not just about selling real estate, it’s about helping people create homes here in Vinings and Buckhead!
The “on cycle” process typically starts in October the year prior to the year you want your child to start, usually with testing beginning in October. Then in November the private school Open Houses start and the schools may schedule private tours of the schools as well. By January, schools have booked the individual interviews and they stop accepting applications in January to early February. Decisions are made and announced at the same time, usually the first Saturday in April.
There are wait lists and a lot of movement during those first two weeks after announcements, so don’t give up on your first choice too soon. But it’s interesting because schools are pretty good at knowing which students are the best fit for their curriculum and education styles so I’d prefer a school that wanted my child on their first list personally. Trust the process and apply to at least three. Schools are looking for candidates that are going to succeed in their environment so it is not usually the parent’s choice at the end of the day, it’s up to the schools.
The psychologist that does your child’s testing is a good resource in directing you to the schools that would be the best fit, but if your heart wants one in particular, don’t give up, wait out the wait list. I know people with siblings tend to just apply to the school they have a child in already and many regret it later when that child doesn’t get in, so expand your search and consider others; a school program that is a fit for one isn’t always a fit for another and you don’t want to be in a position of having to move to get in a good school district after the fact! Trust me- it happens more often than you can imagine! So, to help you get rolling, here are this year’s Open House dates:
- November 14 – The Westminster Schools: Lower School Open House and The Lovett School Kindergarten Open House, 1:00 PM
- November 15 – The Lovett School Grades 1-5 Open House 1:00 PM ; Grades 6-8, 3:30 PM and Atlanta Girls’ School: Admission Open House; 1:00 PM
- November 16 – The Lovett School: Grades 1-5 Open House 1:00 PM Grades 6-8, 3:30 PM
- November 17 – Trinity School Open House, 9:30 AM
- November 21 – Pace Academy: Middle and Upper School Open House, 1:00 PM
- November 22 – Pace Academy: Lower School Open House, 1:00 PM
- December 4 – The Westminster School: Middle School Open House
- December 5 – Holy Innocent’s Episcopal School: All School Open House starting at 11:00 AM: The Westminster School: Upper School Open House, 2:00 PM
- December 6 – The Galloway School Open House for all grades and St. Benedict’s Episcopal School Open House
- December 10 – Trinity School Open House, 9:30 AM
- January 20 – Trinity School Open House, 9:30 AM
- January 21 – Lovett School Open House Grades 9-12, 6:30 PM
- January 23 – Whitfield Academy Family Open House, 2:30 PM
- January 24 – St. Benedict’s Episcopal School Open House
Woodward Academy offers group tours by reservation on select dates through February
It’s that time of year again- no, not pumpkin spice latte season, private school application season! Atlanta’s premier private schools are holding open houses beginning this month. Attending a school’s open house is a great way to get a feel for which school will be the best fit for your child’s education. Placement can be competitive, so it’s a good idea to get those applications in shape and in to Admissions as soon as possible. Here’s a tip: since 6th grade is the more common expansion year into middle school, applying to schools for the 5th grade year can increase your odds of acceptance and allow your child to settle into a new environment before the transition into middle school and doubled class sizes that begin in 6th grade.
Here are some upcoming open house dates to keep in mind:
- November 15 – The Westminster Schools: Lower School Open House
- November 16 – The Lovett School: Grades 1-5 Open House 1:00 PM Grades 6-8, 3:30 PM and Woodward Academy: Open House 2-4:45 PM
- November 17 – The Galloway School: Upper Learning Admissions Tour 9:00-10:30 AM
- November 18 – The Galloway School: Early Learning Admissions Tour 9:00-10:30 AM
- November 21 – Atlanta Girls’ School: Prospective Parent Info Session 9:00-10:30 AM
- November 22 – Pace Academy: Middle & Upper School Open House 1:00 PM
- November 23 – Pace Academy: Lower School Open House 1:00 PM
- November 24 – The Galloway School: Middle Learning Admissions Tour 9:00-10:30 AM
- December 5 – The Westminster School: Middle School Open House
- December 6 – Holy Innocents Episcopal School: All School Open House starting at 11:00 AM and The Westminster School: Upper Schools Open House
- January 22, 2015 – The Lovett School: Grades 9-12 Open House 6:30 PM
Whitefield Academy has a number of open house dates throughout the coming months; you can see which time best fits your schedule at their calendar here.
You can also find helpful links to the school’s main websites on my Private Schools tab.
Well fall is officially here! We spent the weekend decorating and I thought I would share some great resources to help celebrate this changing season. Here are some links to celebrate fall including Pumpkin Patches, Apple Festivals and one of our favorites – the Pace Fall Fair on October 20th. Get out your calendars and plan some fun!
There are many wonderful private schools in metro Atlanta. In fact, there are way too many to name on my blog….so I have selected a few private schools here that are both highly regarded and also in the Buckhead and Vinings areas.
Here’s a map of the private schools I selected: Atlanta International School, The Galloway School, Heritage Preparatory School, Holy Innocents Episcopal School, Holy Spirit Preparatory School, The Lovett School, Pace Academy, The Schenck School, Trinity School, The Westminster School, and Whitefield Academy.