Posts Tagged holidays in atlanta 2011
Things to do in Atlanta over the holidays with kids
Posted by thunsicker in Buckhead, Living, Vinings on December 13, 2011
With only a few more days of school and then two weeks off for the holidays, I’m trying to think of what to schedule to keep my little guy busy and happy. Here’s a list of things to do around metro Atlanta during the holiday season with kids. You know I always welcome more ideas!
Exercise – always jumpy places, but lately Chase is loving the “Atlanta Rocks” rock climbing. He’s been to a couple of birthday parties there and can climb almost any wall.
- Playdates – I’ll coordinate who’s in town and when, maybe some WII games of tennis, golf etc.
- Friends over for campfire, hot dogs, marshmallow, hot chocolate (and wine!)
- Ride the Pink Pig at Lenox Mall and visit Santa – if you’ve given up on the Phipps thing like we have.
- Vinings Historic Preservation Society – Deck the Halls this coming Thursday, December 15, with woodworking, and treats. It’s at the Old Pavillion on Paces Mill Road from 4:00 – 5:00p.m.
- Libraries and Barnes and Nobles have story times
We’re still putting up and decorating extra trees in other rooms of the house
- Drive around at night around Buckhead to see the elaborate Christmas decorations – I have a new camera and will try to see if I can capture some of these for those of you that haven’t seen them – kinda crazy!
- Stone Mountain Christmas and Snow Mountain – This is a good full-day activity which includes two hours of sledding, train and tram ride, Polar Express 4D, lots of hot chocolate, etc.
- Fernbank Christmas Around the World – I had planned on going but a friend just said it wasn’t very detailed and took about 5 minutes. It’s free if you’re a member.
- We saw “The Grinch that Stole Christmas” at The Fox last weekend, now The Nutcracker has taken over. Each year the Atlanta Ballet brings to life the classic Christmas tale of Clara and the Nutcracker. This is a ballet full of holiday magic that has captivated young and old throughout the ages. It is also a great way to introduce children to the art of dance. December 8 – 24 at the Fox Theatre
- There’s always the Holiday Tea with Santa at the St Regis.
- If you’re at the St. Regis you can get a little ice skating in as well at the Astor Ice Rink. Atlantic Station has a rink, but I’m not sure of the details of when that opens. I just Googled skating rinks in Atlanta and there are quite a few, but they seem to be pretty far outside the perimeter for the most part, but it could be an adventure?
Moms, a new place I need to check out – “Dry Bar“, apparently it’s a walk-in-get-your-hair-washed-and blow-dry place that serves wine!
I was at a party last night and everyone was talking about it. It’s been open about three months and it’s right next to the St. Regis on West Paces Ferry Road in Buckhead. You might even need a reservation this time of year. Interesting new concept. For my friends in other cities – new business idea you might want to try!