Eater Atlanta is a great place to keep up with the latest and hottest food trends in the Atlanta area, but they have gone back to basics with this list of 20 Classic Restaurants Every Atlantan Must Try. These are restaurants that have been open for at least 20 years, places where a couple may have celebrated both their first anniversary and their children’s graduation. The list concentrates in Midtown and Downtown Atlanta, but I noticed several are here in the Vinings, Buckhead, and Marietta area:
- Canoe, with its serene location on the bank of the Chattahoochee River here in Vinings makes you feel like you’ve escaped to the country side. their menu has evolved over the years but always stayed true to its upscale southern roots.
- Ray’s on the River is just a few miles upriver from Canoe. They have just celebrated their 30th birthday and keep generations of Atlantans coming back for their classic surf and turf menu.
- Horseradish Grill has been keeping upscale southern cuisine fresh for over 20 years. It’s the perfect spot for a meal before strolling across the street for a show at Chastain Park’s Amphitheater
- Marietta Diner is a short drive north up I-75 and has been offering classic American diner food for just over 20 years. Open 24 hours so you can get your burger or dessert craving satisfied any time.
- Petite Auberge tucked away in the Toco Hills Shopping Center has been serving fine French cuisine to Atlanta’s diners since 1974. Food trends may come and go but this classic has maintained a loyal clientele that speaks to its timeless appeal.
- Bone’s in Buckhead is inarguably Atlanta’s quintessential steak house, and has been a go-to spot for special occasion celebrations for decades.
- Buckhead Diner keeps the decor retro and their classic diner/southern menu updated at their Piedmont Road location.
Atlanta is a vibrant, quickly evolving city with a world-class food scene, but there is a reason these classic spots have lasted for so many years. Next time you’re looking for a tried and true but still delicious meal, I encourage you to check out the whole list at Eater.